What do you do when it’s Pi(e) Day/Week & Spring Break & you’re a food blogger & cool mom? You make a Twinkie pie! This is not a pie with the flavor profile of a Twinkie, it’s a pie made with actual Twinkies. An entire box of them in fact! I found this recipe on Pinterest via Wine and Glue. I’m thinking it could conceivably be made with any un-iced snack cake. Stay tuned for ideas on that. I actually made TWO Twinkie pies (since I’m the cool mom) one with traditional Twinkies, the other with banana flavor. Fun fact: banana was actually the original flavor of Twinkies pre-WW2! I was out of vanilla extract, so I used almond extract. It worked out fine & I feel like you could change up different extracts depending on the snack cake used. Example: Devil Dogs with mint extract! The good news is the pies were delicious; the bad news is I only managed to capture one photo of the pies before they were devoured by teens on Spring Break!
makes one 9-inch pie
- one whole box of Twinkies, any kind
- 9-inch frozen deep-dish pie crust
- 3 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (almond works too!)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Unwrap all your Twinkies and break them into about 4 pieces each.
- Combine Twinkies, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and vinegar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
- Mix on med-low heat until smooth.
- Pour into pie crust on lined baking sheet.
- Bake 35-40 mins or until top of pie is golden.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.