You can make lentil soup similarly to the way you would make a pea soup, flavored with a ham hock and it’s simple and delicious. This soup is a fun & delicious spin. Lentils are legumes, but have a heartiness that is filling almost like meat.
Lentil Soup with Spicy Italian Sausage
- 15-16oz bag of lentils
- 1 package spicy Italian sausage (bulk, not links)
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 large white onion, diced small
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 2-3 celery stalks, peeled and diced small
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 C chicken/veggie broth
- 2 C water
- Brown and crumble sausage over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large pot until cooked through Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from pot and set aside.
- Add olive oil, carrots, onion and celery to pot and sauté 4-5 mins until onions become translucent. Add garlic & cook for another 2 mins.
- Add broth, water, lentils & sausage to pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Turn off heat and let soup rest, covered, for 20 minutes before serving.
- Delicious served with crusty bread for dunking.