Recently, I was watching the “Brunch Village” episode of Portlandia. In it, amidst other shenanigans, there’s a ridiculously long line at a brunch restaurant that specializes in Marionberry Pancakes. What’s a Marionberry you ask? I had no idea so I looked it up. Apparently, it’s a certain breed of blackberry that’s indigenous to Oregon. On the episode, Celeb Chef & Resident Hottie, Bobby Flay argues that they’re just blackberries. The episode was hilarious & left me with a craving for pancakes & berries. I improvised & whipped up this tasty syrup with items I had around the house…
- 1- 12oz package frozen berries (I used a blend of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.)
- 1 C white wine (I used a bit of leftover Chardonnay)
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- In large saucepan, mix the strawberries, wine, sugar and allspice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat slightly and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully pour the hot mixture into a food processor or blender. Blend to desired consistency.
- Cool completely and enjoy over pancakes, waffles, or desserts.