Quick post on a quick & tasty supper I made the other day. Kippers are a whole herring, sliced in half from head to tail, gutted, salted or pickled, then smoked. This process is called “kippering”. They are cheap and tasty. I usually keep a few cans on-hand for quick suppers like this one…
Roasted Potatoes and Smoked Kippers
- yellow potatoes, skin on, cut into eighths, about 3-4 per person
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 can of smoked kippers per person
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place cut potatoes into a large bowl.
- Open cans of kippers and pour juice/oil over potatoes. Set kippers aside.
- Toss potatoes in kipper liquid.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the potatoes.
- Add EVOO until potatoes are well-coated.
- Spread potatoes on baking sheet in one layer.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dill to taste.
- Bake 30-35 mins, moving the potatoes around once or twice during cooking.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, and add the kippers, breaking them up into small pieces and distributing them evenly.
- Cook another 5 mins to heat the kippers.
Eat potatoes with eggs, in place of traditional hashbrowns.