I know, I know… it’s pumpkin-spice-everything time! But there’s a reason everyone goes loco for all things pumpkin & spice at this time of year… BECAUSE IT’S DELICIOUS! And not to toot my own horn or anything, but this is the tastiest flavored kombucha I’ve made to date. Real talk. Usually, what I do when I’m flavoring kombucha is do all the brewing & fermenting, then after the booch is filtered I will add some frozen fruit & let it sit on my counter in the jar with the lid loosened for another 24 hours. Usually I will end up with some secondary fermentation & a little fizziness. Some of my favorite flavors are peach & basil, black cherry, and mixed berry (cranberries, raspberries, and blueberries).
This kombucha contains actual pumpkin, which is great for your eyesight, reducing “bad” cholesterol, and keeping your skin wrinkle-free! And it’s tasty too!
Pumpkin Spice Kombucha
makes 2 qts
- 4 tbsp pureed pumpkin (use canned or make your own)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmug
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 qts kombucha
- In a small bowl combine pumpkin, brown sugar, and spices.
- Pour kombucha into a large pitcher.
- Add pumpkin mixture to kombucha & stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into two 1-quart jars. Screw lids on loosely. Let jars sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours.
- Before drinking you will need to shake your kombucha, as the pumpkin mixture will sink to the bottom.
- An alternative method is to place half the pumpkin mixture directly into two 1-quart jars of kombucha, put on the lids tightly & shake well. Then, loosen the lids and allow kombucha to sit at room temp for at least 8 hours before drinking.