I love fish in a can. Not just tuna, but also salmon, octopus, kippers, anchovies, and yes, sardines. Fish in a can are a delicious, easy, cheap source of protein. Often, I will eat kippers or sardines straight out of the can. But every now-and-again I want to COOK with them: with pasta, in an omelette, the possibilities are practically endless.
Then, every once in awhile I come up with a completely brilliant idea like this one…
Sardine BLT with Black Garlic Mayonnaise
makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices seeded rye bread
- 1 can of sardines
- 6 slices of cooked bacon (still warm)
- 3-4 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 1 plum tomato, sliced thin (about 3 slices for each sandwich)
- 1 tsp black garlic paste
- 1/4 C prepared mayonnaise
- In a small bowl, combine garlic paste and mayonnaise until blended and smooth. Spread mayonnaise on one side of all 4 slices of bread, as thickly as desired.
- Open the sardines and drain off any oil. Using half of the sardines for each sandwich, arrange sardines on 2 slices of the bread.
- Top sardines with bacon, lettuce, and tomato slices.
- Place second slice of bread atop each sandwich.
- Serve sandwich sliced in half, if desired.