This week I began another venture into homemade booze: spiced rum. I’ve been checking out a few different recipes since around Christmas-time and was surprised to find that spicing rum would only take 5 days vs. the month it took me to infuse the vodka to make Limoncello & Clemencello. I had about half the spices already on-hand, & ended up picking up a few extra goodies during my spice-run that you will surely see in a future blog…
I feel like my spiced rum needs a clever pirate name but I haven’t come up with one yet, so for now…
- 750ml white (clear) rum
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pod
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp orange zest (freshly grated)
- 1/8″ slice of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 black peppercorns
- Crush the cardamom & star anise pods, cloves, and peppercorns using a mortar & pestle, or the side of a knife.
- Put all ingredients except the rum in a 1 quart mason jar, and pour rum over to the fill line of the jar (750ml should fit in there perfectly).
- Screw the cover on the jar tightly and put in a cool, dry place.
- Shake daily for 5 days.
- At the end of 5 days, your rum should be spiced and ready to filter.