Whew! It’s been a long process but now you have everything you need to finish your petit fours and I promise every delicious bite will be worth it.
Spumoni Petit Fours
makes about 36 mini cakes
- Pistachio Pound Cake sheet
- Cherry-Almond Pound Cake sheet
- 1 jar cherry jam
- 2 bags bittersweet chocolate (10 oz)
- 1 pint heavy cream
- a couple of handfuls of pistachios, chopped fine
- Place pistachio cake, top side down on parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Spread one jar of jam over the cake, almost all the way to the edges.
- Place cherry-almond cake top side down on top of pistachio cake, matching the edges as evenly as possible.
- Wrap stacked cakes tightly with plastic wrap, top with an empty sheet pan. Weigh down the top sheet pan with cans (I used about 4 large cans) and refrigerate 4 hours, or preferably, overnight.
- Trim edges of cakes evenly and begin cutting in desired size and shape (This was where I realized that the cake was a bit too thick and my cute little cutters would not work.)
- Melt chocolate in double boiler. When chocolate is nearly melted, whisk in the cream to form ganache.
- Carefully dip each cake in the ganache. This proved more difficult than I thought. You want the cake to be covered on 5 sides with the ganache. I covered 2-3 sides placed the cakes on another parchment-lined sheet pan and let the chocolate set fully before attempting the other sides.
- Cover the tops of the cakes last. While ganache is still moist, sprinkle with chopped pistachios.