I’ve been slogging along with writing, testing, and sometimes re-writing recipes for my cookbook for some time now. I currently have 16 completed recipes, which doesn’t seem like much until you realize that each recipe may need to be tested and re-tested multiple times.
This is a spring/summer pea soup. The lemon and mint bring a light freshness. It finishes with the lovely tang of a swirl of Greek yogurt.
Makes 4-6 servings.
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp unsalted butter
4-6 shallots, finely chopped
1 or 2 carrots, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 lb. frozen baby sweet peas
3 C hot water
leaves from 2-3 sprigs of fresh mint
zest and juice of 1 lemon
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
4-6 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1) Heat EVOO and butter in large pan over med-high heat.
2) Sweat shallots, celery, and carrots until carrots soften and shallots and celery are translucent; 2-3 mins.
3) Add the peas and toss until coated with EVOO and butter.
4) Pour in the hot water and simmer until peas are bright in color and softened.
5) Pour mixture into blender and add mint, lemon zest and juice.
6) Blend well until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
7) Ladle in bowls and swirl each with 1 tbsp Greek yogurt.